On your system, when you download Smarten, your antivirus blocks certain files and because of this Smarten will not run or its running may be interrupted.
This document shows what all types of files are blocked by antivirus when you first download Smarten and why it is important to bypass those files through your antivirus software.
Smarten runs on Java!
When you initially download Smarten, your antivirus software automatically detects java files and does not let the files bypass through the software because it considers them to be a potential threat to your system. This is done to provide security to your system and you can override it by adding an exclusion in your antivirus package. To ensure that Smarten is run smoothly, it is important to make sure that you bypass java files through your antivirus software. Adding an exclusion in your antivirus software depends upon what antivirus software you use.
Below steps show you how you can add an exclusion and are done in reference to McAfee antivirus.
Steps to bypass files from Antivirus for Smarten execution:
In order to exclude a folder from your custom or scheduled scan so McAfee doesn’t check it for threats please follow below steps:
1. On the Home Page, open the Virus and Spyware Protection drawer
2. Do one of the following:
- To exclude an item from your custom scan, click Scan Your PC, then click Run a custom scan.
- To exclude an item from your scheduled scan, click Scheduled Scan.
3. Open the Excluded Files and Folders drawer.
4. Click Add Folder.
5. Choose the file you want to exclude from you scan, then click Open.
The following are the list of files and folders that needs to be excluded from your antivirus software:
- Smarten installation directory including subfolder
- Java installation folder - C:\Program Files\Java including subfolders
- All Java Server Pages files (*.jsp)
By following the above steps, it will be ensured that all excluded files and folders are successfully bypassed through your antivirus and hence, will allow Smarten to run smoothly.
Please Note: Sometimes, even after you bypass the above folders and files, your antivirus signature might still block java application. In this case, you will get an error saying Permission denied when you try to run Smarten. Please contact your antivirus support team to troubleshoot the issue from their end when this happens.